How can I get tested for vitamin D levels in my body?

To have your vitamin D levels tested, start by talking to your doctor. A blood test that measures a form of vitamin D known as 25-hydroxyvitamin D may be ordered if your doctor suspects you have a vitamin D deficiency, if you have evidence of bone disease or bone weakness or if you are about to start treatment for osteoporosis (the brittle-bone disease). A vitamin D blood test may also be ordered if you have had other tests that revealed you had abnormal levels of calcium, phosphorus or parathyroid hormone in your blood.

The National Osteoporosis Foundation also recommends that people at risk of vitamin D deficiency ask their doctors if they should be tested. High-risk people include those with dark skin (who may not be able to make enough vitamin D from sunlight), those who spend most of their time indoors and those with conditions that make them unable to absorb vitamin D well.

Continue Learning about Vitamin D