Does vitamin D reduce the risk of heart disease?

Your heart disease risk could probably be lower with a little more of this nutrient on board: vitamin D.

Older adults who had the highest blood levels of vitamin D enjoyed a 33% lower risk of developing heart disease in a recent study. And supplements are a fine source. You can also look to sunshine and fortified dairy products to get your fill of D.

Vitamin D has long been touted for its benefits to bone health. But more and more research is showing a bigger role in health. In a study, adults who had the highest levels of D had the lowest level of "cardiometabolic disorders" -- the family of conditions that includes heart disease, diabetes and metabolic syndrome.

Exactly how high levels of vitamin D protect against cardiometabolic problems isn't entirely understood. Vitamin D may protect the heart and blood vessels by acting on genes or vitamin D receptors or by regulating calcium levels in the body. Vitamin D also acts as an anti-inflammatory. Whatever the mechanism of action, you likely need more D in your life. Many adults are deficient.

Continue Learning about Vitamin D

What are the signs of vitamin D toxicity?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Signs of vitamin D toxicity may include constipation, stomach upset, ache, increased urination, incr...
What increases my risk of vitamin D deficiency?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
If you avoid the sun, have your vitamin D levels checked by your doctor with a simple blood test.  A...
How can I get enough vitamin D?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Vitamin D is made in the skin after exposure to sunlight. Some people make all the vitamin D the...
How can I get tested for vitamin D levels in my body?
To have your vitamin D levels tested, start by talking to your doctor. A blood test that measure...