How is vitamin D deficiency diagnosed?

A doctor may use blood tests, x-rays, physical examination and medical history to diagnose someone with vitamin D deficiency. Blood tests measure the levels of a particular form of vitamin D called 25-hydroxyvitamin D, or 25(OH)D for short. According to the Institute of Medicine, people are deficient if they have less than 12 nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL) of 25(OH)D in their blood.

People with levels of 12 to 20 ng/mL are considered "at risk" for vitamin D deficiency. Symptoms such as bowlegs or knock-knees in children, and thinning bone as measured by bone density tests and x-rays, are other factors that might prompt a doctor to consider a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency. A doctor may also suspect vitamin D deficiency if he or she knows that a person doesn't get enough exposure to sunlight or has a poor diet. Talk to your doctor if you think you might be at risk for vitamin D deficiency.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Vitamin D deficiency can be diagnosed with a simple blood test. Laboratories vary on what they consider to be deficient. I like for my patients’ blood levels of vitamin D to be between 40 ad 80 ng/ml.

Continue Learning about Vitamin D