Do vitamin D supplements help with vitamin D deficiency?

A chronic deficiency of vitamin D in children will cause rickets. In adults, it can cause osteomalacia. If your diet is inadequate in vitamin D, then a supplement may be necessary. You should check with your health care provider and a registered dietitian before taking any supplements to make sure the type and amount are appropriate for your needs.

First determine that you are vitamin D deficient. Consult your doctor, who may order a blood test to determine your vitamin D level. If you're deficient, your doctor my recommend daily or seasonal vitamin D supplementation.

Some foods contain some vitamin D, but not enough to meet the daily requirement. Too much vitamin D can cause side effects, so take only what your doctor recommends. The body regulates the amount of vitamin D it makes in the sun, but cannot protect against excess vitamin D from supplements.

Dietary guidelines from The Institute of Medicine of the National Academies recommend 600 International Units (IU) of vitamin D daily for children over the age of one and for teens and adults up to age 70. For those over 70, 800 IU is recommended.

Continue Learning about Vitamin D

Can I Get Enough Vitamin D Through Exposure to Sunlight?
Why Should I Consume Vitamin D If I Want to Lose Weight?
What Foods Are Rich In Vitamin D?
What Foods Are Rich In Vitamin D?
How Does Where I Live Affect How Much Vitamin D I Get?