As an older woman, should I take vitamin D?

Celeste Robb-Nicholson
It is possible to get the government-endorsed vitamin D intakes (600 international units [IU] for women ages 51 to 70; 800 IU for women over age 71) through diet or sun exposure. But if you live in the northern United States, especially during winter months, if you always wear sun block, or if you are unable to spend adequate time outdoors, it is harder to get adequate vitamin D without taking supplements. Also, as we age, we may not absorb vitamin D as efficiently as younger women, and require a larger daily dose, up to 1,000IU.Consult your doctor about the appropriate supplementation for you.

Continue Learning about Vitamin D

Jump-start Your Well-being with Vitamin D
Turns out, vitamin D has more power to protect your happiness, heart and lungs than was previously known. A study in the European Journal of Preventi...
How much vitamin D can I take before it damages my organs?
Research suggests that serious vitamin D toxicity, including damage to the heart, blood vessels ...
Why would I have a low vitamin D level despite taking 8000 IU daily?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Not getting enough vitamin D can have a long-term effect on bone health and may be associated with o...
What Are the Health Benefits of Vitamin D3?