What are the symptoms of vitamin C deficiency?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

In the case of scurvy or severe vitamin C deficiency, the classic symptoms are bleeding gums, poor wound healing, and extensive bruising. In addition to these symptoms, susceptibility to infection, hysteria, and depression are hallmark features of vitamin C deficiency. Only 10 to 20 milligrams per day is required to prevent scurvy and severe vitamin C deficiency, although this amount is too low to support optimal health.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Vitamin C

Vitamin C Is Not an Exercise Replacement
John F. Kennedy once said, “There are risks and costs to a program of action, but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable...
How much vitamin C do I need if I have a cold?
When you begin to show signs of a cold, increase your vitamin C to as much as 4 grams (4,000 milligr...
What is the best way to take vitamin C?
The best way to get vitamin C is to get it through foods rich in it. It can be found naturally i...
What Are the Benefits of Vitamin C for the Skin?