How can vitamin C slow the progress of cataracts?

Most of us know that vitamin C has many benefits such as helping ward off the common cold. But this essential nutrient found in many fruits and vegetables has another little-known function: It can help slow the progress of cataracts, the most common cause of vision loss in adults over 40.

A study confirmed what many ophthalmologists and eye surgeons already know: A healthy diet rich in vitamin C can help replenish the loss of ascorbic acid in the natural lenses of the human eye. Ascorbic acid is the chemical name for vitamin C. The fluid inside the eye is normally high in vitamin C, which helps prevent oxidation that leads to clouding of the eye lens from cataracts.

Cataracts affect more than 22 million Americans age 40 and older. Moreover, as the U.S. population ages, more than 30 million Americans are expected to have cataracts by the year 2020. Everyone should probably be eating a diet containing vitamin C anyway. This study confirms that vitamin C helps slow down the progression of cataracts. They used twins in the study, and about 2,000 people were followed over 10 years. The results were very encouraging.

Continue Learning about Vitamin C

How do vitamins C and E work together to prevent aging?
Vitamin C and vitamin E complement one another. Vitamin C is water-soluble, whereas vitamin E is fat...
Can taking vitamin C supplements help prevent heart disease and cancer?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Despite a handful of studies hinting that vitamin C might ward off heart disease and cancer, evidenc...
How much vitamin C do I need per day?
Because vitamin C is water-soluble, it washes out of your body when you urinate. Therefore, it is im...
How much vitamin C do I need if I have a cold?
When you begin to show signs of a cold, increase your vitamin C to as much as 4 grams (4,000 milligr...