Folic acid and iron supplements have been shown to improve many areas of our health. But their benefits for pregnancy may be the most important. These nutrients may treat pregnancy-related anemia. Iron helps the body make hemoglobin, which carries oxygen in the blood to tissues and organs. Folic acid helps prevent birth defects.
- Q Will getting more folic acid decrease my risk for colon cancer?
- Q How can I get the right amount of folic acid to prevent birth defects?
- Q Can folic acid supplements increase my risk for prostate cancer?
- Q What are folate and folic acid?
- Q Can I stop taking folic acid on my own?
- Q How does vitamin B9 work?