Which foods contain vitamin A?

Preformed vitamin A occurs naturally in dairy products, eggs, fish and meat, especially liver. Carotenoids are found in bright yellow and orange vegetables such as carrots, pumpkin and sweet potatoes, broccoli and spinach. Preformed vitamin A, either as retinyl palmitate (most common) or retinyl acetate, is frequently added to milk and milk-based drinks, butter spreads, cereals, snack bars, cookies and cakes.

On average, cold cereals are the most likely to be fortified and have the highest levels of fortification, followed by instant hot cereals.

Continue Learning about Vitamin A

How much of Vitamin A will help me clear up my acne?
MediGuardMediGuard
Although vitamin A is important for the immune system to prevent or fight off infections by making w...
Can too much preformed vitamin A increase my risk for osteoporosis?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Several observational studies show that too much preformed vitamin A (contained in animal-based food...
Should I take vitamin A if I don't have a deficiency?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
There is little reason to believe that vitamin A deficiency is a problem in adults in the United Sta...
How to Avoid Vitamin and Prescription Drug Interactions