What is the role of vitamin A in fetal development?

Vitamin A aids in both cell development and brain growth, but this vitamin does have a drawback. There have been links between excessive amounts of vitamin A and an increased risk of birth defects, especially neural tube defects. (Be careful of eating too many meal-replacement bars, each of which may have 100 percent of your daily value of A -- get into the habit of checking the nutrition labels on everything you consume.) You should consume no more than 15,000 IU a day while pregnant or just before becoming pregnant (as opposed to limiting yourself to about 3,500 IU a day from supplements and packaged foods when not pregnant).
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Vitamin A