Should I take vitamin A if I don't have a deficiency?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
There is little reason to believe that vitamin A deficiency is a problem in adults in the United States or Canada. Additionally, excessive vitamin A is linked to a potential risk of reduced bone density and/or increased risk of fracture.

An article in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) showed an increased risk of mortality and morbidity with excess vitamin A and beta-carotene. For these reasons, you should avoid vitamin A supplements, unless you have been told you are at risk of a real deficiency.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Vitamin A