Should I let my doctor know I take vitamin A?

Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplement or medication to avoid possible interactions with other medicines you may take or existing health issues you may have. If you take vitamin A, you must be careful not to take too much. Vitamin A is stored in the body and can reach dangerously toxic levels. For example, taking vitamin A along with a retinoid medication, such as acitretin (Soriatane), tretinoin (Atralin, Avita, Renova, Retin-A, Tretin-X, Vesanoid) or isotretinoin (Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Sotret) can significantly increase your risk for poisoning. Be sure to consult your doctor before taking vitamin A.

Continue Learning about Vitamin A

What is the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin A?
Amy Jamieson-PetonicAmy Jamieson-Petonic
The Recommended Dietary Allowance for Vitamin A is shown both in micrograms (mcg) as well as Interna...
What is the role of vitamin A in fetal development?
Vitamin A aids in both cell development and brain growth, but this vitamin does have a drawback. The...
Which foods contain vitamin A?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Preformed vitamin A occurs naturally in dairy products, eggs, fish and meat, especially liver. Carot...
How to Avoid Vitamin and Prescription Drug Interactions