How can my skin indicate if I have a vitamin A deficiency?

The following skin test may indicate if you are getting enough vitamin A. This important vitamin helps your body form and maintain healthy skin, teeth and bones. It also helps your immune system stop and kill germs as soon as they come in contact with your body.

This test will require you to do a full-body examination. Look for dry spots around your body. You should especially check for dry, rough, and cracked skin; brittle hair; and peeling or splitting nails.

If you find any of those, you may have a deficiency in vitamin A.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Vitamin A

What happens if I overdose on vitamin A?
Vitamin A is fat-soluble and can accumulate in the fatty tissues of the body. Vitamin A overdose...
Who should not use vitamin A?
You should not use vitamin A if you are allergic to it. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include...
Why do I need vitamin A for healthy vision?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Vitamin A is essential for healthy vision because it maintains the integrity of cells in mucous memb...
How does vitamin A work?
Vitamin A comes from two sources. Retinoids, such as retinol, are the vitamin A that come from a...