Can too much preformed vitamin A increase my risk for osteoporosis?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Several observational studies show that too much preformed vitamin A (contained in animal-based foods, including liver, milk, and eggs) in the diet may raise the risk of osteoporosis, a condition marked by porous, weak bones and a higher likelihood of fractures. The risk appears when people consume more than double the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for preformed vitamin A (ranging from 300 units per day in children to 700 units/day in adults) and may be limited to those who don't get enough vitamin D. An analysis from the Women's Health Initiative of more than 75,000 women found a modestly increased risk of hip fracture only among women with high vitamin A and low vitamin D intakes, as described in a paper in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. There is no evidence of a link between beta carotene and osteoporosis risk.

Continue Learning about Vitamin A

How many servings of vitamin A-rich food do I need in a day?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
A diet that includes five servings a day of carotenoid-rich fruits and vegetables as well as milk an...
What should I know about beta-carotene before taking it?
If you have a seizure disorder, an abnormal heart rhythm, coronary insufficiency, diabetes, or hyper...
Should I take vitamin A if I don't have a deficiency?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
There is little reason to believe that vitamin A deficiency is a problem in adults in the United Sta...
How to Avoid Vitamin and Prescription Drug Interactions