What can I do if I have trouble seeing at night?

This is a very common problem. You should have a comprehensive exam from an opthalmologist. They will first evaluate whether you have refractive error which is hyperopia, myopia and/or astigmatism or a combination of these.

Small refractive errors can cause big symptoms particularly at night. So correcting this with spectacles and adding an ant-reflective coating can help.

Next the doctor will look at the ocular surface and particularly the cornea. Dry eyes and blepharitis are very common conditions that affect the quality of vision through the cornea by affecting the quality of the tear film and the ocular surface and treatment of these can often help.

Next they will want to look at your natural lens for a cataract. Your symptom is often the first presenting complaint of cataract and if severe enough surgery may be necessary to remove the cataract.

The opthalmologist will also want to evaluate your macula and optic nerve for early signs of age-related changes. In this case, difficulty with night vision is likely due to natural aberrations of the optics of the eye that change with aging. You can take solace in noting that it is not a progressive or sight-threatening condition, but you may just have to learn to live with this symptom.

Continue Learning about Visual Impairments

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.