What is low vision or visual impairment?

Dr. Michael X. Repka
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

Low vision and visual impairments are legally stipulated. The definitions may vary from state to state. Typically, visual acuity of 20/200 or less or visual field less than 20 degrees are required. There are many definitions of partial impairment that may affect central acuity (the eye chart) or visual field.

In general the legal definitions apply to the patient as a whole and not to each eye, so that impairment in one eye with a normal fellow eye would not be considered impairment of the patient, unless there was substantial loss of visual field.

Low vision is a loss of eyesight that makes everyday tasks difficult. A person with low vision may find it difficult or impossible to accomplish activities such as reading, writing, shopping, watching television, driving a car, recognizing faces and crossing the street. When vision cannot be improved with regular eyeglasses, medicine, or surgery, people with low vision need help to learn how to make the most of their remaining sight and keep their independence.

Dr. Laura C. Fine, MD
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

Many people must live with vision that limits their daily activities, a condition known as low vision. Low vision may involve blurry vision, poor central vision, loss of peripheral vision, or even double vision. Whatever the symptom, the immediate consequences are often the same—difficulty performing day-to-day activities such as reading a newspaper, using a computer, watching television, cooking a meal, or crossing the street. Still, low vision is like many complicated medical conditions: while there may not be a cure, there often are ways to cope.

Continue Learning about Visual Impairments

What specialized services are available to help with visual impairment?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
There are many specialized services available to help the visually impaired. Some services you may u...
What is the rate of incidence for visual impairments?
Because there are many different kinds of visual impairments it is difficult to measure the rate of ...
What can I do if I have trouble seeing at night?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
This is a very common problem. You should have a comprehensive exam from an opthalmologist. They wil...
How should I communicate with someone who is visually impaired?
DiveheartDiveheart
Do not speak to someone with a visual impairment in a way that is different from how you would speak...