What causes blindness in children?

There are many causes of blindness. In children, vision impairment may be due to birth defects, often a result of prematurity. Optic nerve damage, injury of the eye(s), and trauma to the part of the brain that controls vision may also result in blindness. Another possible cause of childhood blindness is bilateral congenital cataract. This causes extensive clouding of the lenses of the eye so that light cannot pass through. Certain visual impairments, such as cataracts, can be corrected if detected early.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Visual Impairments

How can I improve the display on a mobile device if I'm visually impaired?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Contrast is a very important feature for people who are visually impaired, but it is often overlooke...
How should I communicate with someone who is visually impaired?
DiveheartDiveheart
Do not speak to someone with a visual impairment in a way that is different from how you would speak...
How is vision loss diagnosed?
Vision loss is diagnosed during an eye examination with an ophthalmologist (medical doctor) or an op...
What are visual impairments?
Visual impairments include any condition that causes alterations to your normal vision. A visual imp...