How do I manage my visual impairment on a daily basis?

Your type of visual impairment will determine how you can best manage it. Minor impairments may need little to no special management aside from wearing glasses or turning on extra lights to help you see more clearly. Some visual impairments, however, need special care. Serious impairment that prevents you from doing normal activities on your own may require the help of others. You will need to follow your medication guidelines very carefully. After surgery, make sure you do exactly what your doctor recommends.

Continue Learning about Visual Impairments

Visual Impairments

Optical issues with the eye are quite common, possibly because we started as cavemen who did not have to read tiny letters on a computer screen as you may be doing right now. Conditions that may be corrected with optics include as...

tigmatism, near and far sightedness and some forms of visual field distortion. Some eyes have trouble seeing color the way other's do. This is called color blindness, and is more common in men. As we age there are common diseases and concerns including cataracts and glaucoma. Having diabetes can make you more likely to develop retinopathy, when blood vessels in the retina break and leak into the eye. Some conditions may lead to partial or total blindness. Legal blindness is a legal term more than a medical one, but meeting the standard for legal blindness can qualify you for special help.