How is vision loss diagnosed?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Vision loss is diagnosed during an eye examination with an ophthalmologist (medical doctor) or an optometrist. At the eye examination, the doctor will dilate both eyes using drops. The drops dilate the pupil of the eye so your doctor can see inside the eye better. A dilated eye exam may not always be used, so be sure to ask your doctor for this type of examination. Other tests your doctor may do include testing to see how well you see an eye chart with the right eye and the left eye, adjusting prisms and lenses to find out your accurate prescription if you need contacts or glasses, and an eye test for glaucoma.

Symptoms of vision loss may include blurry vision, difficulty seeing up close or far away, seeing halos on lights, seeing floaters or spots in your field of vision, sensitivity to sunlight or bright light, an inability to see at nighttime or difficulty seeing at dark, wiggly lines in the field of vision, blacked spots in the central vision, watery eyes, crusty eyes, flashes of light, or loss of side (peripheral) vision).

If you have problems such as diabetes, a tumor or an eye disease such as glaucoma, a cataract, or macular degeneration, your doctor will need to see you more frequently than adults with normal vision who have no eye disease. Some types of vision loss are preventable with an early diagnosis and treatment. That’s why regular eye exams are important so your doctor can catch problems early when treatment works best.

Continue Learning about Visual Impairments

What is the definition of visual impairment?
Michael X. RepkaMichael X. Repka
Low vision and visual impairments are legally stipulated. That may vary by your state. Typically, vi...
How can I manage my low vision?
Dr. Laura C. Fine, MDDr. Laura C. Fine, MD
The magnifying lens remains one of the most common tools to help compensate for low vision. Most mag...
What can I do if I have trouble seeing at night?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
This is a very common problem. You should have a comprehensive exam from an opthalmologist. They wil...
Can a GPS help a blind person to be active?
Some people are finding that technology can help those with visual impairment to live more active li...