How can I improve the display on a mobile device if I'm visually impaired?

Contrast is a very important feature for people who are visually impaired, but it is often overlooked. Increasing or decreasing the contrast is an easy way to customize your display and make it more comfortable to view. The less contrast you have, the better it is for battery power. Set the contrast to the lowest level that is comfortable for you.

Most displays automatically have a white background and dark text. Reverse this default to make the background dark and the text bright. In addition to helping people with vision issues, this feature can cut the glare of a white background and make it easier to use your device in a dark room. This option is not available on all Android devices. If your Android device has it, you'll find it in the accessibility features. All iOS 7 Apple devices have this feature.

Continue Learning about Visual Impairments

How is vision loss diagnosed?
Vision loss is most often diagnosed using an eye chart. In adults, vision loss is often identified d...
How can I manage my low vision?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
It’s not easy to think about being visually impaired—but it is a reality for millions of Americans. ...
What can I do if I have trouble seeing at night?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
This is a very common problem. You should have a comprehensive exam from an opthalmologist. They wil...
What is low vision or visual impairment?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Low vision is a loss of eyesight that makes everyday tasks difficult. A person with low vision may f...