Why is the HPV vaccine recommended for boys and girls?

John H. Lee, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
The HPV vaccine is best known for helping prevent cervical cancers, but it also protects against certain head and neck cancers that can affect both genders. Learn more about the HPV vaccine for boys and girls by watching this video featuring Dr. John Lee of Sanford Health.
Eric M. Genden, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
The vaccine for HPV or human papillomavirus is recommended for young girls. In this video,  Eric Genden, MD, chairman of the department of otolaryngology at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, suggests boys may need the vaccine to proven throat cancer.

HPV can cause genital warts and warts in the oral and upper respiratory tract in both men and women. HPV is also associated with several less common types of cancer in both men and women. There is no treatment for an HPV infection, but many of the conditions it causes can be treated.

The HPV vaccine is approved for girls and boys ages 9-26.  Only Gardasil has been approved for use in males. The CDC recommends Gardasil vaccine for all boys aged 11 or 12 years, and for males aged 13 through 21 years, who did not receive any or all of the recommended doses when they were younger. It is recommended that all men receive the vaccine through age 26. (CDC)

The vaccine is given in a three-dose series with the second dose given two months after the first dose and the third given six months after the first dose.

Continue Learning about Viral Vaccine

When should my child get the poliovirus vaccine?
Your child should get the inactivated poliovirus vaccine for protection against the virus that cause...
When should my daughter get the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine?
Your daughter should get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine for protection against HPV, a sexual...
What is the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine—the first vaccine designed to prevent a type of cancer—has be...
Will my health insurance cover the cost of the HPV vaccine?
Most health insurance plans cover the cost of human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines, but you may want ...