When should my child get the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine?

Dr. Eric M. Genden, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT Specialist)

In young girls, vaccinations are given between ages 9 and 14. In this video,  Eric Genden, MD, chairman of the department of otolaryngology at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, says the idea is to give the vaccine before boys become sexually active.

The human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine is available for boys and men (Gardasil) and girls and women (Cervarix and Gardasil) from 9 to 26 years old. These three-part vaccines are most effective when received around 11 or 12 years of age.

Girls and boys should get the recommended human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine series when they are 11 or 12 years old. If a teen or young adult (through age 26) has not started or finished the HPV vaccine series, it's not too late; teens and young adults should speak with their doctor about getting the HPV vaccine series. If it has been a long time since your child started the HPV vaccine series, you don't have to start over—just get the remaining shot(s) as soon as possible. Make an appointment to get your child vaccinated.

Continue Learning about Viral Vaccine

Why should young men get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine?
Dr. Martin M. Anderson, MDDr. Martin M. Anderson, MD
When the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine first came out in 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administr...
When should my daughter get the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine?
Your daughter should get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine for protection against HPV, a sexual...
Will my health insurance cover the cost of the HPV vaccine?
Most health insurance plans cover the cost of human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines, but you may want ...
What is the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine—the first vaccine designed to prevent a type of cancer—has be...