When should my daughter get the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine?

Your daughter should get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine for protection against HPV, a sexually transmitted infection that can lead to cervical cancer in females.
  • The first dose for females should be given at age 11 to 12 (the minimum age for the first dose is age 9).
  • The second dose should be given one to two months after the first dose.
  • The third dose should be given six months after the first dose, at least 24 weeks after the first dose.
The series should be given to females at age 13 who haven't been previously vaccinated.

Talk with your healthcare professional for further guidance.

Continue Learning about Viral Vaccine

When should my child get the poliovirus vaccine?
Your child should get the inactivated poliovirus vaccine for protection against the virus that cause...
When should my child get the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine?
Dr. Eric M. Genden, MDDr. Eric M. Genden, MD
In young girls, vaccinations are given between ages 9 and 14. In this video,  Eric Genden, MD, chair...
Why should young men get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine?
Dr. Martin M. Anderson, MDDr. Martin M. Anderson, MD
When the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine first came out in 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administr...
Will my health insurance cover the cost of the HPV vaccine?
Most health insurance plans cover the cost of human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines, but you may want ...