What is the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine?

The human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine—the first vaccine designed to prevent a type of cancer—has been increasingly embraced by parents and the medical community since the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved it in 2006.

The most widely used HPV vaccine, Gardasil, protects against the two strains that cause the majority of cervical cancers, as well as the two HPV subtypes responsible for roughly 90 percent of genital warts cases. In addition to being offered to preteen girls, it is recommended for older girls and young women up to the age of 26 who have not yet received it.

The HPV vaccine is a vaccine that protects against the human papillomavirus (HPV), which can cause multiple types of cancer. The HPV virus is actually very common—the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that pretty much everyone who has sex will be exposed to it at some point in their life. While it’s best known to cause cervical and oropharyngeal cancers, HPV has also been linked to penis cancers and vaginal cancers. Obviously, to have a vaccine that protects against so many types of cancer is huge. The vaccine is most effective when it’s given at a younger age between age 11 or 13, and ideally long before the child is sexually active.

Continue Learning about Viral Vaccine

When should my child get the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine?
Dr. Eric M. Genden, MDDr. Eric M. Genden, MD
In young girls, vaccinations are given between ages 9 and 14. In this video,  Eric Genden, MD, chair...
Will my health insurance cover the cost of the HPV vaccine?
Most health insurance plans cover the cost of human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines, but you may want ...
Why should young men get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine?
Dr. Martin M. Anderson, MDDr. Martin M. Anderson, MD
When the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine first came out in 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administr...
When should my daughter get the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine?
Your daughter should get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine for protection against HPV, a sexual...