Why should young men get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine?

Dr. Martin M. Anderson, MD
Pediatrician

When the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine first came out in 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommended it for girls only, since the disease was most closely associated with cervical cancer. Later, additional studies linked HPV to cancers that also affect men. This prompted the FDA to approve the vaccine for boys in 2009.

There are many reasons to give HPV vaccine to males. The vaccine decreases boy's risk of contracting oral, penile and anal cancers related to HPV It makes them less likely to get hard-to-treat warts. Since less than 40% of girls are getting the vaccine, more people can be protected against the disease by also vaccinating boys.

“There are many reasons we want to give HPV vaccine to males,” says Martin Anderson, M.D., director of adolescent medicine at Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA. “The vaccine decreases their risk of contracting oral, penile and anal cancers related to HPV, as well as the possibility of contracting hard-to-treat warts. And since less than 40 percent of girls are getting the vaccine, we can ensure more people are protected against the disease by also vaccinating boys.”

HPV is a very common virus in both women and men. HPV can cause anal cancer, mouth/throat (oropharyngeal cancer) and cancer of the penis in men. Every year, there are over 9,300 HPV-related cancers in men.

One HPV vaccine—Gardasil—is recommended by doctors and other health experts for boys at ages 11 to 12.

Continue Learning about Viral Vaccine

What is the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine—the first vaccine designed to prevent a type of cancer—has be...
When should my daughter get the human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine?
Your daughter should get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine for protection against HPV, a sexual...
Will my health insurance cover the cost of the HPV vaccine?
Most health insurance plans cover the cost of human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines, but you may want ...
When should my child get the poliovirus vaccine?
Your child should get the inactivated poliovirus vaccine for protection against the virus that cause...