Why do I have a sore throat when I wake up in the morning?

You might have a sore throat in the morning because of the way you slept the night before. If your mouth was open for the majority of your sleep, then you breathed in the dry air that irritated your throat. You might want to keep the air in your home humidified to reduce the chances of waking up with a sore throat. Air pollution, allergies, and smoking can also contribute; you may wish to filter air coming in through vents or air conditioners, consider allergy medication, or quit smoking if you think these may be factors.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Aside from strep throat, most sore throats caused by are contagious, viral throat infections that cannot be treated with antibiotics. The most common culprits of a viral throat infection include coxsackievirus, mononucleosis, and ...

the flu. Mononucleosis (mono) is a virus that causes symptoms that can last for weeks or months at a time. Viral throat infections are best treated with rest, liquids and other home remedies. If the sore throat causes you to have trouble breathing or a high fever, or results in spots in the back of your throat, call your doctor.