What is a viral throat infection?

A viral throat infection is a sore throat caused by a virus, not bacteria. Although many people suspect strep throat when they have a sore throat, most sore throats are caused by a virus similar to the virus that causes the common cold or influenza. A viral infection, unlike strep throat and other bacterial infections, cannot be treated with antibiotics but usually resolves quickly without the use of antiviral medications. Viral infections that affect the throat may include croup in children, the common cold, flu, chickenpox, measles, and mononucleosis.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Can viral throat infection be prevented?
Viral throat infection is not absolutely preventable, but you will be less susceptible to catching a...
Should I talk to my child's school about viral throat infection?
A viral throat infection is contagious through sneezing and coughing so it may be advantage to infor...
Is there a cure for viral throat infection?
No medical cure is available for viral throat infections. However, your immune system typically fi...
Is laryngitis a type of viral throat infection?
Laryngitis is inflammation of the larynx, the passageway for air to the lungs, including the voice b...