What causes viral throat infection?

Viral throat infection is caused by tiny organisms that attack the cells of the respiratory system in the human body. Once inside the cell, the virus tries to control the cell and keeps it from functioning normally. As the cell malfunctions and dies, the virus is spread to other cells, causing symptoms of a sore throat. Viral throat infections are usually spread through the mouth or nose by kissing, sneezing, coughing, or direct contact with shared objects. A viral throat infection may be connected to a viral infection of other organs, such as the lungs.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

What is the rate of incidence for viral throat infection?
Viral throat infections are very common. Viruses that cause the common cold and flu actually lead ma...
Should I talk to my child's school about viral throat infection?
A viral throat infection is contagious through sneezing and coughing so it may be advantage to infor...
How is viral throat infection diagnosed?
A viral throat infection will usually present with a swollen, sore, and red throat. The only way to ...
Are there alternative treatments for viral throat infections?
Most of the alternative treatments used for viral throat infection work to relieve pain and discomfo...