What is the rate of incidence for viral throat infection?

Viral throat infections are very common. Viruses that cause the common cold and flu actually lead many people to visit the doctor unnecessarily each year. The Epstein-Barr virus, which sometimes leads to mononucleosis, is so common that almost 95% of the adult population and 50% of young children in the United States have had the infection at some point. By age 40 approximately three-fourths of the population has been infected with cytomegalovirus, whether they experienced symptoms or not.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

How do medications treat viral throat infection?
Medicines are not used to treat viral throat infections. Antiviral drugs can be harmful to human...
Will my baby have a viral throat infection if I do while I am pregnant?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Most of the time a sore throat caused by a cold or flu virus will have no effect on your baby. If a ...
Should I talk to my doctor about a viral throat infection?
Most sore throats resolve within a few days and do not require medical attention. If you believe you...
When should my child's tonsils be removed?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Doctors remove children's tonsils when they have recurrent infections or sleep apnea.