What causes tonsillitis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The tonsils are a part of the body's immune system. They help to keep some germs from getting into the rest of the body through the mouth. If the tonsils become weakened, tonsillitis can develop from an existing infection. The same virus that gives you a common cold is the most typical virus that can cause tonsillitis. Strep throat and other bacterial infections also cause tonsillitis.

Joan Haizlip, MSN
Tonsillitis is usually caused by Streptococcus bacterium, or Type A streptococcus.   Sometimes tonsillitis is caused by other bacteria and viruses.  A throat culture will determine the exact cause of the tonsillitis.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Is laryngitis a type of viral throat infection?
Laryngitis is inflammation of the larynx, the passageway for air to the lungs, including the voice b...
What increases my risk for viral throat infection?
Viral throat infections are very common. Being a child or teenager puts you at increased risk for co...
Are there alternative treatments for viral throat infections?
Most of the alternative treatments used for viral throat infection work to relieve pain and discomfo...
When should my child's tonsils be removed?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Doctors remove children's tonsils when they have recurrent infections or sleep apnea.