Should I talk to a doctor about my child's tonsillitis symptoms?

Some tonsillitis symptoms, such as a fever and sore throat, are similar to other common illnesses like a cold. Other symptoms, like a stomachache or headache, might not be so obvious. If your child has had a severe sore throat lasting more than a couple of days or any other symptoms of tonsillitis, you should talk to a doctor. They will need to determine not only if the symptoms do indicate tonsillitis, but also if a virus or a bacterial infection is the cause. Nine out of ten cases will be viral, and treatment will be mainly concerned with alleviating symptoms. Bacterial infections may be treated with antibiotics. Though tonsillitis is very common in children and usually clears up quickly, it can be more of an issue for adults. So, if you have symptoms of tonsillitis, see your doctor.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Aside from strep throat, most sore throats caused by are contagious, viral throat infections that cannot be treated with antibiotics. The most common culprits of a viral throat infection include coxsackievirus, mononucleosis, and ...

the flu. Mononucleosis (mono) is a virus that causes symptoms that can last for weeks or months at a time. Viral throat infections are best treated with rest, liquids and other home remedies. If the sore throat causes you to have trouble breathing or a high fever, or results in spots in the back of your throat, call your doctor.