Should I talk to my doctor about a viral throat infection?

Most sore throats resolve within a few days and do not require medical attention. If you believe you have come into contact with a person infected with strep throat, you should probably see a doctor for a throat culture to rule out viral infection. Also, if your symptoms recur or are accompanied by high fever, swollen lymph nodes, difficulty breathing, blood in the saliva, pus in the throat, or a skin rash, consult a doctor.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Aside from strep throat, most sore throats caused by are contagious, viral throat infections that cannot be treated with antibiotics. The most common culprits of a viral throat infection include coxsackievirus, mononucleosis, and ...

the flu. Mononucleosis (mono) is a virus that causes symptoms that can last for weeks or months at a time. Viral throat infections are best treated with rest, liquids and other home remedies. If the sore throat causes you to have trouble breathing or a high fever, or results in spots in the back of your throat, call your doctor.