Should I talk to my child's doctor about my child's croup symptoms?

Most cases of croup are mild enough to be treated at home without a visit to the doctor. However, you should talk to your child's doctor right away just to be sure you are right about your suspicion that it is croup and to get the doctor's opinion about the severity of the illness and whether care at home will be sufficient to address the symptoms. In most cases, home treatment can ease the symptoms of croup during the recovery period. Less commonly, more severe symptoms, such as having trouble breathing, may require immediate medical care. You should talk to your child's doctor right away if your child's symptoms are severe. Croup normally lasts less than a week. If your child's symptoms seem to get worse rather than improve, you should contact your child?s doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Aside from strep throat, most sore throats caused by are contagious, viral throat infections that cannot be treated with antibiotics. The most common culprits of a viral throat infection include coxsackievirus, mononucleosis, and ...

the flu. Mononucleosis (mono) is a virus that causes symptoms that can last for weeks or months at a time. Viral throat infections are best treated with rest, liquids and other home remedies. If the sore throat causes you to have trouble breathing or a high fever, or results in spots in the back of your throat, call your doctor.