Should I talk to my child's doctor about my child's croup symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Most cases of croup are mild enough to be treated at home without a visit to the doctor. However, you should talk to your child's doctor right away just to be sure you are right about your suspicion that it is croup and to get the doctor's opinion about the severity of the illness and whether care at home will be sufficient to address the symptoms. In most cases, home treatment can ease the symptoms of croup during the recovery period. Less commonly, more severe symptoms, such as having trouble breathing, may require immediate medical care. You should talk to your child's doctor right away if your child's symptoms are severe. Croup normally lasts less than a week. If your child's symptoms seem to get worse rather than improve, you should contact your child?s doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Should I talk to my child's school about viral throat infection?
A viral throat infection is contagious through sneezing and coughing so it may be advantage to infor...
Can viral throat infection be prevented?
Viral throat infection is not absolutely preventable, but you will be less susceptible to catching a...
How can I treat a sore throat?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
The common sore throat is well treated by a few natural recommendations: Plenty of sleep: sleep i...
How do I manage my viral throat infection on a daily basis?
Managing your viral throat infection on a daily basis involves minimizing the uncomfortable symptoms...