What questions should I ask when my child has a sore throat?

Steven V. Gurland, MD
Sore throats can be caused by a virus or a bacteria,so questions to ask include what symptoms may suggest that the patient needs to be seen by a doctor and tested for example strep ,which is bacterial or infectious mononucleosis which is viral.What are the difference in symptoms if any between the two?

What is the average duration of the illness and what symptomatic relief can be provided?
What are the signs that suggest the condition is worsening?
Is there a particular diet to be followed or foods to avoid with a sore throat?
What is the risk of  exposure to others including family members and children in class?
How is it spread and what preventative measures if any can be taken to minimize the spread of infection?
What is the incubation period?
These are all important questions to ask when your child develops a sore throat

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Aside from strep throat, most sore throats caused by are contagious, viral throat infections that cannot be treated with antibiotics. The most common culprits of a viral throat infection include coxsackievirus, mononucleosis, and ...

the flu. Mononucleosis (mono) is a virus that causes symptoms that can last for weeks or months at a time. Viral throat infections are best treated with rest, liquids and other home remedies. If the sore throat causes you to have trouble breathing or a high fever, or results in spots in the back of your throat, call your doctor.