Is peritonsillar abscess serious?

Peritonsillar abscess is a serious infection that can be life threatening. It may cause severe swelling of tissue in the throat leading to a blockage of the airway, interfering with a person's ability to breathe. Complications of peritonsillar abscess also include pneumonia, fluid surrounding the lungs, and inflammation near the heart.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

How is viral throat infection diagnosed?
A viral throat infection will usually present with a swollen, sore, and red throat. The only way to ...
Should I talk to my doctor about a viral throat infection?
Most sore throats resolve within a few days and do not require medical attention. If you believe you...
What increases my risk for viral throat infection?
Viral throat infections are very common. Being a child or teenager puts you at increased risk for co...
How do I care for someone with a viral throat infection?
To care for someone with a viral throat infection, it is important to make the person comfortable. I...