How can I protect my children from croup?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

One of the best ways to protect children against croup is to make sure that they wash their hands frequently. This is because most cases of croup are caused by the same kind of contagious virus that causes the common cold, and frequent hand-washing can help prevent the spread of this kind of virus. Avoiding contact with others who have respiratory infections or croup is also a good idea. Having children vaccinated against diphtheria, Haemophilus influenzae (Hib), and measles can also help protect them, since these illnesses can lead to severe cases of croup.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

How do I care for someone with a viral throat infection?
To care for someone with a viral throat infection, it is important to make the person comfortable. I...
What activity should someone with viral throat infection avoid?
A person with viral throat infection will most likely not feel well enough to do too much in the beg...
Should I talk to my child's school about viral throat infection?
A viral throat infection is contagious through sneezing and coughing so it may be advantage to infor...
How do other illnesses affect viral throat infection?
Viral throat infection typically goes away without medical intervention but may occasionally lead to...