How can I protect my children from croup?

One of the best ways to protect children against croup is to make sure that they wash their hands frequently. This is because most cases of croup are caused by the same kind of contagious virus that causes the common cold, and frequent hand-washing can help prevent the spread of this kind of virus. Avoiding contact with others who have respiratory infections or croup is also a good idea. Having children vaccinated against diphtheria, Haemophilus influenzae (Hib), and measles can also help protect them, since these illnesses can lead to severe cases of croup.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Aside from strep throat, most sore throats caused by are contagious, viral throat infections that cannot be treated with antibiotics. The most common culprits of a viral throat infection include coxsackievirus, mononucleosis, and ...

the flu. Mononucleosis (mono) is a virus that causes symptoms that can last for weeks or months at a time. Viral throat infections are best treated with rest, liquids and other home remedies. If the sore throat causes you to have trouble breathing or a high fever, or results in spots in the back of your throat, call your doctor.