How do I manage my peritonsillar abscess on a daily basis?

Peritonsillar abscess can lead to serious complications. Talk to your doctor before trying to manage the infection on your own. Immediate treatment is usually recommended, and this includes surgery to drain the abscess, as well as supportive therapy to manage pain and sustain hydration. Your doctor will most likely prescribe antibiotics and pain medication. Follow your doctor's recommendations, and take your medicine as scheduled.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Aside from strep throat, most sore throats caused by are contagious, viral throat infections that cannot be treated with antibiotics. The most common culprits of a viral throat infection include coxsackievirus, mononucleosis, and ...

the flu. Mononucleosis (mono) is a virus that causes symptoms that can last for weeks or months at a time. Viral throat infections are best treated with rest, liquids and other home remedies. If the sore throat causes you to have trouble breathing or a high fever, or results in spots in the back of your throat, call your doctor.