How do I manage my child's croup on a daily basis?

In most cases, croup lasts less than a week and is mild enough to be treated at home. If your child's doctor recommends home treatment, make sure your child gets plenty of rest and drinks a lot of fluids. Having your child inhale steam, such as from a vaporizer, can help. Having your child inhale cold air might also help. For example, if the evening air is cool, try dressing your child warmly and going outside for a few minutes. Giving your child over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen, can help your child feel more comfortable. Keep an eye on the symptoms on a daily basis and contact your child's doctor immediately if they get worse, especially if your child is having trouble breathing.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Aside from strep throat, most sore throats caused by are contagious, viral throat infections that cannot be treated with antibiotics. The most common culprits of a viral throat infection include coxsackievirus, mononucleosis, and ...

the flu. Mononucleosis (mono) is a virus that causes symptoms that can last for weeks or months at a time. Viral throat infections are best treated with rest, liquids and other home remedies. If the sore throat causes you to have trouble breathing or a high fever, or results in spots in the back of your throat, call your doctor.