How is croup diagnosed?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Doctors usually diagnose croup based on the symptoms the child is experiencing, particularly the typical loud, barking cough. Being able to accurately describe your child's symptoms will help the doctor with the diagnosis, especially if your child is too young to describe them. Your child's doctor will probably conduct a physical exam as well, listening to your child's breathing with a stethoscope and examining the throat for signs of redness and swelling. In some cases, the doctor might decide an X-ray of the neck is necessary before a diagnosis can be definitive.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

How is viral throat infection diagnosed?
A viral throat infection will usually present with a swollen, sore, and red throat. The only way to ...
What is the rate of incidence for viral throat infection?
Viral throat infections are very common. Viruses that cause the common cold and flu actually lead ma...
Should I talk to my doctor about a viral throat infection?
Most sore throats resolve within a few days and do not require medical attention. If you believe you...
What activity should someone with viral throat infection avoid?
A person with viral throat infection will most likely not feel well enough to do too much in the beg...