How does tonsillitis affect the body?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The tonsils are lymph nodes that function as part of the body's immune system, keeping germs  out of the body by stopping them at the mouth. A bacterial or viral infection may occur and develop into tonsillitis, an inflammation of the tonsils. If tonsillitis occurs frequently, it may become necessary to remove the tonsils surgically.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Should I talk to my child's school about viral throat infection?
A viral throat infection is contagious through sneezing and coughing so it may be advantage to infor...
How does a viral throat infection affect the body?
A viral throat infection affects the body differently, depending on the type of virus that attacks t...
What causes viral throat infection?
Viral throat infection is caused by tiny organisms that attack the cells of the respiratory system i...
How do medications treat viral throat infection?
Medicines are not used to treat viral throat infections. Antiviral drugs can be harmful to human...