Could tonsillitis require surgery?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

While most cases of tonsillitis will clear up in about a week, surgery may be required in others. A tonsillectomy is an option when your child suffers from repeated bouts of tonsillitis. Repeated infections, such as strep throat, could weaken the tonsils, and it becomes a smarter option to take the tonsils out surgically to help keep a child from getting sick over and over again. If an abscess develops with tonsillitis, that may need to be treated surgically to drain the abscess to prevent more problems. Another reason tonsils may need to be removed, in children or adults, could be that the tonsils may be bigger than normal even in the absence of tonsillitis. Oversized tonsils can cause breathing and swallowing problems, even chronic sleeping issues may arise.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Is there a cure for viral throat infection?
No medical cure is available for viral throat infections. However, your immune system typically fi...
Should I talk to my child's school about viral throat infection?
A viral throat infection is contagious through sneezing and coughing so it may be advantage to infor...
Should I talk to my doctor about a viral throat infection?
Most sore throats resolve within a few days and do not require medical attention. If you believe you...
What viral illnesses cause viral throat infection?
There are several viral illnesses that can cause a viral throat infection. These include:the common ...