How can I care for my child's sore throat (pharyngitis) at home?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

After seeing your pediatrician to make sure your child does not have strep throat, there are a few things you can do at home.

Start by avoiding very hard and spicy foods, as they can irritate the throat more. Cool liquids or honey can soothe the throat and give some relief. If your child is old enough, you can try gargling with saline water or a mixture of Benadryl and Maalox in equal parts.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Aside from strep throat, most sore throats caused by are contagious, viral throat infections that cannot be treated with antibiotics. The most common culprits of a viral throat infection include coxsackievirus, mononucleosis, and ...

the flu. Mononucleosis (mono) is a virus that causes symptoms that can last for weeks or months at a time. Viral throat infections are best treated with rest, liquids and other home remedies. If the sore throat causes you to have trouble breathing or a high fever, or results in spots in the back of your throat, call your doctor.