Will my baby have a viral throat infection if I do while I am pregnant?

Most of the time a sore throat caused by a cold or flu virus will have no effect on your baby. If a pregnant woman contracts cytomegalovirus, however, a virus that causes sore throat, there are chances that an unborn child can be affected. Cytomegalovirus (CMV) can remain dormant in your body, undetected and harmless. But if you develop an active case while pregnant, the baby can be affected; signs may include jaundice, small head, small size, enlarged spleen or liver and problems with feeding. These problems are rare, but also put the baby at higher risk for neurological, sensory or other problems. You should consult your doctor if you think you have been exposed to CMV. Although no cure exists, treatments can help a newborn who has been exposed to cytomegalovirus.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Is laryngitis a type of viral throat infection?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Laryngitis is inflammation of the larynx, the passageway for air to the lungs, including the voice b...
What increases my risk for viral throat infection?
Viral throat infections are very common. Being a child or teenager puts you at increased risk for co...
How is viral throat infection diagnosed?
A viral throat infection will usually present with a swollen, sore, and red throat. The only way to ...
What is a viral throat infection?
A viral throat infection is a sore throat caused by a virus, not bacteria. Although many people susp...