Will my baby have a viral throat infection if I do while I am pregnant?

Most of the time a sore throat caused by a cold or flu virus will have no effect on your baby. If a pregnant woman contracts cytomegalovirus, however, a virus that causes sore throat, there are chances that an unborn child can be affected. Cytomegalovirus (CMV) can remain dormant in your body, undetected and harmless. But if you develop an active case while pregnant, the baby can be affected; signs may include jaundice, small head, small size, enlarged spleen or liver and problems with feeding. These problems are rare, but also put the baby at higher risk for neurological, sensory or other problems. You should consult your doctor if you think you have been exposed to CMV. Although no cure exists, treatments can help a newborn who has been exposed to cytomegalovirus.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

What increases my risk for viral throat infection?
Viral throat infections are very common. Being a child or teenager puts you at increased risk for co...
What activity should someone with viral throat infection avoid?
A person with viral throat infection will most likely not feel well enough to do too much in the beg...
What is the rate of incidence for viral throat infection?
Viral throat infections are very common. Viruses that cause the common cold and flu actually lead ma...
Are there alternative treatments for viral throat infections?
Most of the alternative treatments used for viral throat infection work to relieve pain and discomfo...