Can croup be prevented?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Because most cases of croup are caused by the same kind of contagious virus that causes the common cold, one of the best ways to prevent croup is to make sure that children wash their hands frequently. Parents should also try to avoid contact with others who have respiratory infections or croup. Having children vaccinated against diphtheria, Haemophilus influenzae (Hib), and measles can also help prevent croup, as these illnesses can lead to severe cases of croup.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Is there a cure for viral throat infection?
No medical cure is available for viral throat infections. However, your immune system typically fi...
Will my baby have a viral throat infection if I do while I am pregnant?
Most of the time a sore throat caused by a cold or flu virus will have no effect on your baby. If a ...
Are there alternative treatments for viral throat infections?
Most of the alternative treatments used for viral throat infection work to relieve pain and discomfo...
What is the rate of incidence for viral throat infection?
Viral throat infections are very common. Viruses that cause the common cold and flu actually lead ma...