Can I give my child aspirin for a sore throat?

You should never give your child aspirin to treat the pain of a sore throat. Doctors recommend against this treatment option because of the risk of Reye's syndrome. Reye's syndrome has shown up in children who have taken aspirin when battling a viral infection. It is a disease that can cause brain swelling, seizures, and coma, liver deterioration, and blood-clotting issues.

Continue Learning about Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Viral Throat Infections

Aside from strep throat, most sore throats caused by are contagious, viral throat infections that cannot be treated with antibiotics. The most common culprits of a viral throat infection include coxsackievirus, mononucleosis, and ...

the flu. Mononucleosis (mono) is a virus that causes symptoms that can last for weeks or months at a time. Viral throat infections are best treated with rest, liquids and other home remedies. If the sore throat causes you to have trouble breathing or a high fever, or results in spots in the back of your throat, call your doctor.