Should I see a dentist or a doctor about viral oral infections?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Practitioner

In most cases, you need to see a doctor if you're concerned about a viral oral infection. Although they occur in your mouth, viral oral infections aren't a problem of the teeth and gums, but rather of the immune system - they are the result of a virus's invasion. Doctors can prescribe antiviral medicines that can help you get rid of your symptoms faster, and they can help you assess whether other disorders you have may be complicating your viral oral infection. However, there are some instances in which you might want to consult a dentist about your viral oral infections. For instance, certain viral oral infections can lead to problems in dental work, so you'll want to let your dentist know you have this condition before you plan any procedures.

Continue Learning about Viral Oral Infections

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.