Are viral oral infections serious?

Viral oral infections usually aren't serious. They can be very uncomfortable while sores are visible, but they generally go away on their own in a few days. However, some kinds of viral oral infections, like some versions of the herpes simplex virus, can recur off and on for the rest of a person's life. It is possible to pass those types of infections to others even when you aren't showing the sores, which means having the disease can have serious consequences for those you pass it to. In addition, there is always a chance that the infection may become complicated, but complications are unlikely unless you have a weakened immune system.

Continue Learning about Viral Oral Infections

What are the treatment options for viral oral infections?
Usually, doctors advise people with viral oral infections to leave the sores alone so that they can ...
Are children more likely to get viral oral infections?
Often, children practice worse hygiene than adults. For this reason, they've usually more likely to ...
Should I talk to my doctor about viral oral infection symptoms?
Usually, viral oral infections clear up on their own. However, a doctor might want to prescribe anti...
Are viral oral infections contagious?
Viral oral infections are contagious diseases, so you can catch them from infected people. One commo...