What will happen if my child has RSV and is admitted to the hospital?

If your baby is admitted to the hospital:

• Your baby’s temperature, heart rate, and breathing will be monitored. Your child’s breathing will be checked to help decide whether he needs oxygen. A machine called a pulse oximeter may be used to measure his or her oxygen levels.

• Our staff may use suction devices to keep his nose clear of mucus.

• You will need to learn how to use the bulb suction and help with your baby’s care.

• Your baby may be given a trial breathing treatment. If the treatment helps, it will be given regularly. If it does not help, no more breathing treatments will be given.

• Once your baby starts improving, his care team will help you learn how to take care of him at home.

• Your baby may be placed in "Isolation" in case he has something contagious (catchy). This means our staff will take extra measures to keep germs from spreading. Staff may wear masks, gowns or gloves when caring for your baby.

• Washing your hands often and well can also help keep germs from spreading to others.

You can plan on going home when:

• Your baby is breathing slower and easier.

• Your baby is eating well.

• Any medicines, if still needed, can be given at home.

• You and your baby’s caretakers can use a bulb suction to keep his nose and mouth clear.

• You and your baby’s pediatrician feel that he is ready for discharge.

Continue Learning about Viral Lung Infections

Should I tell my child's school about viral lung infections?
You shouldn't just tell your child's school about viral lung infections - your child shouldn't be go...
What are the most common types of viral lung infections?
In children, bronchiolitis and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) are very common. Bconchiolitis occu...
What are the symptoms of viral lung infections?
Common symptoms of viral lung infections include cough, fever, and the presence of mucus in the lung...
Should I be worried about viral lung infections?
If you have trouble breathing, you should be worried. Get to a hospital right away in order to take ...