Who is most at risk for mononucleosis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Young adults and teens are most at risk of getting mononucleosis. The virus that causes mononucleosis is shed in the saliva, so your risk for mononucleosis is increased if you kiss someone infected with the virus. Teens and young adults are more likely to get the disease by kissing or having intimate contact with someone who is infected. Younger children exposed to the virus often have few or no symptoms. Almost 95% of U.S adults have already been exposed to the virus and have developed immunity to it.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

What You Need to Know About Eastern Equine Encephalitis
From time to time, an illness called Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) pops up in the news. In July 2019, for instance, the Florida Department of Heal...
How can I prevent infection from noroviruses?
The best way to protect yourself against any infection is to wash your hands. This is especially imp...
How do I manage my yellow fever on a daily basis?
If you have a flu-like illness following travel to an area where yellow fever is known to occur, see...
What Time of Year Do Most Viral Infections Occur?