When should I call my doctor if I have mononucleosis (MONO)?

Mononucleosis, also called mono or the kissing disease, is a virus that is spread from person to person through saliva. Its symptoms can last for several weeks, and include fever, lasting fatigue, a sore throat and swollen glands. It usually affects teens and young adults, and is not usually serious. But call your doctor when you first notice signs of mono, to get the correct diagnosis and treatment. Even if you've already seen your doctor for mono, you should get medical care right away if you have any pain or feelings of fullness in the upper left side of your stomach area (abdomen). This can be a sign of a swollen spleen, a rare but serious complication of mono. Signs of liver problems, like jaundice, are more rare, but should also be examined by a doctor.

Continue Learning about Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral Infections

Viral infections like herpes simplex, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), chicken pox and rotavirus are infections caused by a virus instead of a bacterium. Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics, but some specific viruses ...

like influenza A and B can be treated with certain antiviral medications. Most commonly, treatment for viral infections includes drinking lots of fluids, getting rest, eating well and letting the illness run its course.